October 12, 2010

You are here

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Approved 11-16-10
2010-11:3

MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY

FACULTY COUNCIL

MINUTES

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Auditorium, Radiology Building


Present:
President Simon, Provost Wilcox, E. Alstrom, G. Bice, S. Carey, S. Carter, M.W. Chang, S. Conrad, W. Corser, C. Coursaris, E. Cushman, W. Davidson, D. Dougherty, R.K. Edozie, J. Foss, C. Frilinigos, J. Gabilondo, L. Gut, S. Hassan, M. Jain, R. Jones, M. Kaplowitz, N. Khanna, G. Kortemeyer, M. Largent, T. Levine, K. Lovell, R. Mobokela, R. Maleczka, H. Melakeberhan, T. Monberg, D. Moriarty, M. Noel, J. Owen, C. Parker, D. Pathak, H. Perlstadt, K. Petroni, J. Powell, R. Putnam, F. Rauscher, L. Roman, M. Sciarini, T. Tims, J. Vargas. S. Watts, J. Wright, E. Yakura, B. Zandstra

Absent: K. Ames, J. Boughman, M. Chavez, L. Fair, M. Fillmore, J. Funk, K. Goldsberry, R. Hall, E. Heilman, J. Hoehn, H. Hughes, M. Lawrence, L. Leavitt, T. Marsh, R. McCormick, P. Menchik. M. Nalla, R. Ofoli, N.B. Oliver, S. Pratt, B. Scott, M. Shapiro, M. Sticklen, G. Stone, R. Taggart, S. Tekalur, L. Udpa

The meeting began at 3:15 p.m. with full quorum.

Approval of Agenda:
The agenda was amended making item #7 an action item. The amended agenda was approved.

Public Comments:
There were no public comments.

Approval of Minutes:
The minutes for September 14, 2010 were approved as distributed.

President’s Remarks:
President Simon announced that she informed the ECAC that the administration would be looking at organizational issues related to the role of the Vice-President for Student Affairs and Services. Vice-President June has indicated he will step down from his administrative role, effective September 31, 2010. As you have noticed, Dr. June has lengthy title which reflects the amalgamation of three positions that were distinct. One role is that of Advisor to the Provost on Multicultural Issues, the second role is an Associate Provost for Student Support Services and the third role as Vice-President for Student Affairs and Services. In order to recruit for a strong Vice-President for Student Affairs and Services the position will be separated from the other two. This does provide an opportunity, in light of all of the other changes in the Office of the Provost, to strengthen the role of the Associate Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Studies. President Simon indicated a number of conversations have begun with various groups around campus to get input around an organizational structure. Based on this input a proposal on an organizational structure and a proposal, as required by Taylor 2, on how to fill the Vice-President’s position will be brought to governance.

The President reported that Dr. June and Dr. Vinnie Gore, Assistant Vice-President for Residential and Hospitality Services, commissioned a consultant last year to look at campus life and residential life related to synergies and savings. Although the consultant’s report was available this summer, the decision was made to consult with the University community this Fall. The consultant’s report does relate to the discussions on reorganization.

President Simon noted that the Governor did sign the Higher Education budget and the estimates from the State were lower in the University’s budget than what is in the appropriation, assuming the University gets what is in the appropriation. The Governor chose to sign the Bill as enacted which included the financial aid support for students attending private colleges, while the Legislature had eliminated the financial aid program for students attending public colleges. The issue about how to provide financial support for students in public universities was not resolved in terms of the mechanism to provide support. The Financial Aid Officers of the 15 Universities proposed an alternative that could recognize need base as well as academic achievement. The proposal did not gain enough legislative traction to be included.

Provost’s Remarks:
Provost Wilcox Provost Wilcox noted that there have been some conversations in ECAC regarding the state of the campus and using some of the time in Council meetings to discuss some of the descriptive aspects of the campus. The Provost began by giving a broad overview of some of the numbers at the University including budgets, people etc and how things have changed over the years, 2000, 2005 & 2010. The Provost’s presentation is posted on the Provost web site as well as on the Academic Governance web site.

Provost Wilcox asked Professor Terry Curry to give an update on the change in the payroll system for faculty. Professor Curry noted that there were numerous emails sent informing faculty of this change prior to the end of September, however many faculty seemed unaware of the payroll change until they received their September check.

Executive Committee Chairperson’s Remarks:
Professor Powell reported that several motions had come to ECAC regarding the SIRS. ECAC decided to postpone forwarding the motions until UCAP completed their review of the data from the pilot study. Professor Powell referred members to the UCAP web site to review the documents on the SIRS study in preparation for Council discussion in November or January. Professor Powell also announced that a Working Group had been formed on request of the President to review the Anti-Discrimination Policy and the Sexual Harassment Policy. The review of both Policies will come to Governance when completed.

Replacement of UCAG Member:
Secretary Wright reported that Professor Reckase could not fill the position on UCAG due to an error in his College elections and there was need to identify a new member. Using the election returns from August, the next member with the highest votes was Professor Noel. A motion was passed to approve Professor Noel as a member on UCAG.

Health Care Update:
Professor Moriarty reported that the Health Care Committee had met with the consultant from Mercer, last week. After their review of the Prospectus prepared by the Committee, the Consultant seemed to think what was prepared was workable. They are now looking at the University data to determine what types of care might be in the employer-based health care plan. Another meeting is planned for October 26 with a subgroup from the Health Care Committee to look at the data. The Council will be kept informed on the progress.

Other Business:
There was no further business.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:37 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

signature

Jacqueline Wright Secretary for Academic Governance

 

Tapes of complete meetings of the Faculty Council are available for review in the office of the Secretary for Academic Governance, W32 Owen Graduate Hall, 355-2337

Committee Meeting Date: 
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 3:15pm
Committee Type: 
Minutes Status :