November 20, 2014

You are here

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Approved 1-22-15


3:15-5:00 PM


Present:  A. Anderson, M. Chavez, D. Clark, M. Drangstveit, J. Gabilonda,  J. Gaboury, X. Gao, R. Ofoli, M. Patel, J. Powell, J. Schwartz, R. Smith, S. Lott

Absent:  E. Bedca, S. Carey

The meeting was called to order at 3:15 p.m. with a quorum present.

Approval of Agenda for November 20, 2014:
The Agenda was approved as amended, adding the Faculty Senate Survey.

Approval of Draft Minutes for October 16, 2014:|
The Draft Minutes for October 16, 2014 were approved as distributed.

Bylaw 4.3 - Proposed Changes - Draft:
Chairperson Chavez reported this is a new version that we are proposing to this Committee to make appropriate revisions.  The proposed amendments will then go to the Steering Committee and then University Council for vote.  Professor Powell reported he read the Bylaw 4.3 sections through and found many things that were not clear.  The attachment is the tract changes that he put through for UCAG members to consider.  There is nothing significant until 4.3.6.

4.3.1. - The proposed changes were accepted by members.

4.3.2. - The proposed changes were accepted by members. - The proposed changes were accepted by members.

4.3.3. - The proposed changes were accepted by members, crossing out of and adding for Academic Governance....

4.3.4. - The proposed changes were accepted by members.

4.3.5. - The proposed changes were accepted by members, taking out the space after The review and adding of after review. 

4.3.6. - After discussion, a motion was made to have 4.3.6. read:  The University Committee on Academic Governance shall review unit appeals in case of a conflict between units and consider appeals of reviews of department/school bylaws by college committees.  The motion carried.

4.3.8. - The proposed changes were accepted by members.

Bylaws 3.2. – The University Council Bylaw Sections and were distributed to all members to review and bring back for the February 19, 2015 meeting.

A motion was made and seconded to accept the proposed Bylaw amendments for sections in 4.3., including 4.36.  The motion carried.

Faculty Senate Survey:
Chairperson Chavez distributed the Senate Survey Topics for Standing Committees document that was distributed to Faculty Senate on November 11, 2014.  He noted that some of the items will be tackled and possibly take to The Steering Committee in the spring.

College Bylaw Review for Agriculture and Natural Resources:
Ryan Smith will send the track changes to John Powell.  Ashley Anderson will talk to the Dean and a report will be given at the February meeting.  Discussions took place regarding some format or guidelines for future college bylaw reviews to move the process in a more straight forward fashion, and as a starting point.  It was agreed that there needs to be some clear rules.  John Powell agreed to make a template and asked Ryan Smith and Ashley Anderson to look into a theory process.

Other Business:

The meeting adjourned at 4:57 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sherry Lott

Standing Committee Date: 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 3:15pm
Minutes Status: