Committee Meetings Throughout Summer 2020

The Steering Committee (TSC), Faculty Senate (FS) and University Council (UC) met throughout the summer 2020, via Zoom.  TSC convened on June 9 and July 7. FS convened on June 23, July 21 and August 11. Univesity Council convened on July 21.

The Schedule of Meeting Dates for 2020-2021 can be found by clicking on the link below and by clicking on the black tab to the lef of the website, under Shcedule of Meeting Dates.

Schedule of Meeting Dates for 2020-2021

 

April 5, 2005

You are here

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Approved 9-6-05

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF ACADEMIC COUNCIL

MINUTES

April 5, 2005


Present: 
Abeles, Bresnahan, Holmes-Rovner,     Larabee, Morash, Newman, Ogundimu, Prasad, Schechter, Sticklen, Dan Weber, Dick Weber; Others:  Harrison, Hudzik, Wright, Harding (State News)

Absent:  Harrow, McCoy, Nair, Wei; Banks, Simon  

Chairperson Sticklen called the meeting to order at 3:15 p.m. with a quorum being present.

The agenda was amended moving the following items forward in the agenda, Proposed Bylaw Addition from UCSA, Inclusion of Gender Identity in the Anti-Discrimination Policy and the addition of an item, Discussion of Planning Committee – Esquith.  The agenda was approved as amended.  A motion was passed to conclude the meeting at 5 p.m.

The minutes for March 1, 2005 were approved as distributed.

President’s Remarks:

President Simon was not able to attend the meeting.

Acting Provost’s Remarks:

Acting Provost Hudzik had no comments at this time.

Chairperson’s Remarks:

Professor Sticklen, Chairperson, thanked the members for their hard work this year.

Proposed Bylaw Addition from UCSA:

Vinay Prasad, UCSA Chairperson, presented the following proposed change, endorsed by UCSA, to the Bylaws for Academic Governance:  All undergraduate representatives on University level academic governance, including, but not limited to Academic Council, Academic Council Standing Committees, the Executive Committee of Academic Council, and any and all ad hoc committees, be selected by the student government, ASMSU.

A motion was passed to refer the proposed change to UCAG. Vinay requested that UCSA be notified when the proposed change is on the UCAG agenda.

Discussion of Planning Committee – Esquith:

Professor Esquith reported that the committee is waiting for UCC comments and if there are no serious concerns the report can go to Academic Council as an information item for discussion on April 19, 2005.  Professor Sticklen noted the continued work of a working committee this summer will return this Fall with more details.  Acting Provost Hudzik commented that the working committee will not address structure at this point until further details surrounding issues of curriculum, courses and what a new programmatic entity would offer on its own versus elsewhere in the University.  This should then drive in part the decisions and recommendations about the appropriate structure.  Professor Sticklen indicated that the work should be completed to come before Academic Council and Senate for endorsement in the Fall.  Professor Schechter noted it would be wrong for a planning committee to advise a curriculum and courses that they would not be teaching.  There are a set of suggested ideas but since the group was not comprised of the group who would necessarily be teaching, we are not ready to send to UCC for course development.  UCC will discuss the report and offer suggestions and may raise questions.  

Acting Provost Hudzik indicated a rush to judgment and decisions now while trying to provide folks with the substance of what this college would look like and, therefore, drive intelligent discussion and advice would not be wise.  Members were reminded that the Academic Council passed a resolution in December, 2004 recommending that the Provost recommend to the Board of Trustees the establishment of a new Residential College or School in the Sesquicentennial year.  The Board of Trustees subsequently took action in the context of the larger forums associated with Liberal Arts and general education on campus including agreeing a new residential experience of some kind should be established.  A working group was then formed to begin serious thinking about the mission and general notions about curriculum, particularly in the first year.  Acting Provost Hudzik acknowledged that the working group had done an incredible amount of work in a relatively short time.  It was important to have this work done to get comments from governance this semester and to have a group work on the issues over the summer.  The timing of other events has pushed the issue, namely the renovation of Snyder-Phillips has already been slated and if there is a new residential college, Snyder-Phillips would be the designated location.    

Acting Provost Hudzik has requested the renovation of the academic space be such that it could serve as generic a set of issues as possible.  The renovation of Snyder-Phillips has already been delayed a year and it must begin in May or June.  Acting Provost Hudzik indicated his expectations include that  further work will be done to build sufficient details so that at the beginning of Fall semester curriculum will go to UCC and that a recommendation on the structure decisions based on the curriculum will be put forward.  It was noted that it was important to make the time line clear at the Academic Council meeting in April.

Inclusion of Gender Identity in the Anti-Discrimination Policy:

Professor Sticklen informed the members that this was an issue of restarting the Ad Hoc Gender Identity Committee.  The first Ad Hoc Committee proposed a change in the Anti-Discrimination Policy related to harassment, which was passed by the governance system and Board of Trustees.  There are other issues that need to be addressed and the second Ad Hoc Committee was delayed due to filling the faculty membership.  Students, Loreen Beech, Chairperson of the Alliance of LGBT Students and member of Academic Assembly, and Shawn Lipske, President of PRISM and active member of Alliance, reported reviewing the first committee’s work and the inclusion of gender identity related to harassment but gender identity was not included related to the anti-discrimination.  Ms. Beech summarized the work of the Alliance group noting prior to the first Ad Hoc Committee being formed fourteen thousand student signatures were gathered supporting action related to gender identity discrimination and harassment which was over 1/3 of the students.  The students urged that ECAC do something to get the faculty membership of the committee, as approved by the Academic Council.  Professor Wright noted the difficulty has come in identifying a faculty member insuring the diversity component.  Two faculty were identified by Paulette Granberry Russell but later withdrew their names.  Paulette will put out another plea, but indicated it had been difficult to get a commitment.  Professor Sticklen indicated it has been difficult and certainly understood the student’s concerns and that we will continue to pursue to get the committee going.

Proposal for Scheduling Special Meetings:

Professor Larabee, Chairperson of UCAG, presented a proposal for scheduling special meetings for ECAC.  It was determined by UCAG that there does not need to be a special Bylaw for this purpose.  It was determined that the Bylaws allow for committees to establish their own rules for special meetings at the beginning of each year.  A motion was passed not to introduce a Bylaw change.

Proposed Bylaw Amendments to 3.2.1.1.2. and 3.2.5.5.1. :

Professor Larabee, Chairperson of UCAG, reported the committee had approved the following Bylaw amendments:

3.2.1.1.2. Currently reads:

The Appointed Council shall be composed of all deans of academic programs, the directors of the Honors College and Library, director of the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory, the President, and the Provost.

Proposed Amendment:

The Appointed Council shall be composed of all deans of academic programs, the directors dean of the Honors College, and Library, directors of the Library and National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory, the President, and the Provost.

3.2.5.5.1. Currently reads:

This shall include the Provost, the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies, the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services, the Dean of the Graduate School, the Dean of International Studies and Programs, the Vice Provost for University Outreach, the Director of Libraries, and the Director of the Honors College.

Proposed Amendment:

This shall include the Provost, the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies, the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services, the Dean of the Graduate School, the Dean of International Studies and Programs, the Vice Assistant Provost for University Outreach and Engagement, the Director of Libraries, and the Director Dean of the Honors College.

Key:

Deletions

New Wording

A motion was passed to approve the proposed Bylaw Amendments and forward to Academic Council.

Proposed Bylaw Amendments re:  Graduate and Graduate Professional Programs:

Professor Larabee, Chairperson of UCAG, reported the committee sent the following proposed Bylaw amendments to UCAP and UGC for review and both committees indicated approval.  The proposed amendments have also been approved by UCAG.

4.4.3.   The Committee on Academic Policy shall exercise the faculty’s delegated authority on grading policy for undergraduate and graduate-professional students.

4.4.4.   The Committee on Academic Policy shall consult with the Provost on the establishment, disbandment, or merger of undergraduate and professional academic programs and shall advise the Provost on policy pertaining to curriculum revision, methods of instruction, evaluation of instruction, and advising and counseling for undergraduate and graduate-professional students and programs.

4.4.5.   The Committee on Academic Policy shall consult with the Provost on policy pertaining to admissions and retention, financial aid, and the use and distribution of educational and research resources for undergraduate and graduate-professional students and programs.

4.8.1.   The Graduate Council shall have a faculty member from each college with a graduate or graduate-professional degreeprogram plus one additional member from the Colleges of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Arts and Letters, Business, Education, Natural Science, and Social Science.  The committee shall have five graduate student members selected by the Council of Graduate Students.  No more than one student may be from any one department, with consideration being given to University-wide representation, insofar as possible.  The Dean of the Graduate School or a designee shall be a member with voice but no vote.

4.8.3.   The Graduate Council shall exercise the faculty's delegated authority on grading policy for graduate and graduate-professionalstudents and shall review all changes in graduate and graduate-professional courses, curricula, and degree requirements proposed by academic units and recommend their approval or rejection to the University Committee on Curriculum.

4.8.4.   The Graduate Council shall have shared responsibility with the Dean of The Graduate School to consult with the Provost on the establishment, disbandment, and merger of graduate programs, on policy pertaining to methods of instruction, evaluation of instruction, advising and counseling, admissions and retention of graduate and graduate-professional students, and on other policy pertaining to administration of graduate and graduate-professional programs.

4.8.5.   The Graduate Council shall have shared responsibility with the Dean of The Graduate School to advise the Provost on the coordination of graduate and graduate–professional programs.

4.8.6.   The Graduate Council shall have shared responsibility with the Dean of The Graduate School to consult with the Provost on policy pertaining to financial aid and employment of graduate students and on the use and distribution of educational and research resources for graduate and graduate-professional programs and graduate students.

4.8.7.   The Graduate Council shall advise and consult with the Dean of The Graduate School and the Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies on policy relating to research development as it pertains to graduate and graduate professional education.

4.8.8.   The Graduate Council shall maintain liaison with academic units offering graduate and graduate professional programs.

Key:

New wording

Deleted wording

A motion was passed to approve the proposed amendments and forward to Academic Council.

Proposed Bylaw Additions re: UCAP Ex-Officio Faculty Member to Athletic Council:

Professor Larabee, Chairperson of UCAG, reported on the committee’s discussion regarding the pros and cons of having a faculty member from UCAP assigned to the Athletic Council as a regular ex-officio member with voice but no vote.  UCAG met with members from the Athletic Council and the current UCAP representative and determined that it is helpful for UCAP to know about athletic issues that affect undergraduate education (i.e. excused absences) and it was the consensus that this representation has been a positive experience. UCAG supported formalizing the position with the following proposed additions to the Bylaws for Academic Governance:

4.4.1.1.            Each year the University Committee on Academic Policy shall appoint one of its faculty members to serve as an ex-officio member on Athletic Council.

5.2.3.1.1.         The University Committee on Academic Policy shall appoint one of its faculty members to serve as an ex-officio member on Athletic Council.

A motion was passed by members to approve the proposed amendments to the Bylaws and forward to Academic Council.

Transfer of FCE to the College of Social Science:

The following committees reported back regarding the transfer of FCE to the College of Social Science:

UGC - Professor Morash, Chairperson of UGC, reported the committee fully supports the transfer of FCE to the College of Social Science

UCAP - Professor Ogundimu, Chairperson of UCAP, reported the committee unanimously supported the move of FCE to the College of Social Science.

UCFA - A memo was received from Professor Melnick, Chairperson of UCFA, reporting that UCFA reviewed the memo regarding the transfer of FCE to the College of Social Science and a motion was passed not to comment on it.

UCFT - Professor Margaret Holmes-Rovner, Chairperson of UCFT, reported the committee did not identify any problems requiring action.  However, it was noted that there did not appear to be any explicit agreement between the two Colleges about what guidelines apply to the promotion and tenure of the affected faculty.  It was suggested the two Colleges should be encouraged to address this issue explicitly. 

ECAC members indicated a memo with a recommendation should be sent to the Provost for discussion regarding expectations between the Colleges and the faculty in a timely manner.

UCAG Response re: Review of Final Report of the Integrative Studies Planning Committee:

Professor Larabee, Chairperson of UCAG, reported the committee concluded that it was premature to make a judgment on the question of whether a new university standing for Integrative Studies should be put forth at this time.

UCAP Response re: review of Final Report of the Integrative Studies Planning Committee:

Professor Ogundimu, Chairperson of UCAP, reported that the committee needed more information before they could respond.

UCAP Response re: Review of Final Reports for Quantitative Literacy, Writing and Integrative Studies:

Professor Ogundimu, Chairperson of UCAP, reported the committee is working on reviewing the report and will address the review on April 14, 2005.  UCAP will then send their review to the work group.

University Test Policy – Proposed Amendments to Code of Teaching Responsibility:

Professor Ogundimu, Chairperson of UCAP, reported a subcommittee of UCAP consulted with the Ombudsman and General Counsel in developing the proposed amendments to the Code of Teaching Responsibility.  The proposed amendments were presented; see draft of 3/28/05 distributed to ECAC members.  Following a brief discussion highlighting the proposed changes, a motion was passed to refer to Faculty Council and Academic Council.

Guidelines Governing Possession or Use of Alcoholic Beverages:

Professor Sticklen reported the Guidelines Governing Possession or Use of Alcoholic Beverages was included as an information item to ECAC explaining the exceptions on campus.  The Board of Trustees determines the Guidelines.

Draft Agenda for Academic Council of April 19, 2005:

The agenda for the Academic Council meeting on April 19, 2005 is as follows:

  • University Committee on Curriculum Report – Action Item
  • Proposed Bylaw Amendments to 3.2.1.1.2. and 3.2.5.5.1. – Action Item
  • Proposed Bylaw Amendments re: Graduate and Graduate Professional Programs – Action Item
  • Proposed Bylaw Additions re: UCAP Ex-Officio Faculty Member to Athletic Council – Action Item
  • Proposed Amendments to Code of Teaching Responsibility – Action Item
  • Proposed Resolution Acknowledging Participation on Numerous Working Groups – Action Item
  • Commentary and Discussion on Committee on College Reorganization (CCR) – Information Item
  • Report of the NRC/S Curriculum Team- Information Item
  • Interim Report from the Working Group to Improve Undergraduate Education – Information Item
  • Executive Committee of Academic Council At-Large Election Results – Information Item

Setting of Academic Senate Agenda for April 26, 2005:

The agenda for the Academic Senate meeting on April 26, 2005 is as follows:

  • Update from the Medical School Oversight Committee – Information Item
  • Discussion of the Final Report from the Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Voice – Information Item
  • Other Informational Items

There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 5:00 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

signature

Jacqueline Wright

Secretary for Academic Governance

Committee Meeting Date: 
Tuesday, April 5, 2005 - 3:15pm
Committee Type: 
Minutes Status :