August 30, 2011

You are here

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Approved 10-4-11
2011-2012:1

THE STEERING COMMITTEE
MINUTES
August 30, 2011
Board Room, Administration Building


Present: President Simon, Provost Wilcox, S. Carter, W. Davidson, L. Dillon, S. Fletcher, J. Godeeris, M. Halloran, H. Hughes, M. Kaplowitz, D. Moriarty, J. Powell, J. Wright, J. Youatt; Others: C. Burns, T. Curry, A. Denison, P. Fischer, B. Hayho (State News), J.R. Haywood, M. Kasavana, B. Latta, S. Lott, E. Martinez, Z. Taylor, K. Thompson (State News)

Absent: W. Anderson, T. Levine

Professor Powell called the meeting to order at 3:15 p.m. with a quorum being present.

The Agenda was amended adding two items, the FLG to the BOT and Online SIRS. The amended agenda was approved.

The Minutes for May 3, 2011 were approved as distributed.

President’s Remarks:
President Simon complemented the University community on the welcoming of the students to MSU. This year MSU alumni were invited to help the students move in. There is no legislative activity as everyone is on break.

Officials from Washington, DC will be coming to MSU regarding the decision to cut support to graduate students at the federal level. The Secretary of Agriculture visited the University to discuss concerns regarding research funding and Agriculture service centers which are both at risk. The Secretary was impressed with the University’s work in rural development.

President Simon reported that the University has survived the launching of EBS but noted additional education is needed in many units and there soon will be a second wave of changes in the system.

The President serves as the Big Ten’s Representative on the NCAA Board and is on the working group to review and amend the NCAA manual, focusing on “de-cluttering” the rules.

Provost’s Remarks:
Provost Wilcox discussed a Memorandum to The Steering Committee regarding the Proposed MSU Course Repeat Policy (click on link to view). The Provost indicated that he endorsed the change in the Course Repeat Policy, but has decided to indefinitely defer implementation of the policy until the University has the technological ability to manage the prioritization of student enrollment. At the present time, there is no efficient way to determine whether a student is enrolling for the first time, or attempting to repeat the course. The Provost will continue to seek advice from the Administrative Information Systems and the Office of the Registrar on solutions to implement the policy. Provost Wilcox stated that he would report periodically to Governance on any progress.

The Provost shared that an informal discussion occurred this summer regarding the Student Liaison Group to the BOT. It is anticipated that the BOT will consider a resolution regarding the Student Liaison at their meeting next week that would slightly alter the process for the Student Liaison to the BOT. The Provost concluded by echoing the President’s comments regarding the beginning of this academic year and that it is a tribute to everyone involved with the welcoming of students.

The Steering Committee Chairperson’s Remarks:
Professor Powell announces that the At-Large members will continue to have Faculty Forums each month this year. The objective is to continue to develop strong communication and opportunities for the voice of faculty to be heard through the governance system. Professor Powell expressed that one of the goals of the At-Large faculty is to visit the Advisory Committees of each College this year.

Professor Powell reported that the Task Force on the URO was established and has met during the summer developing a set of questions. The Task Force plans to have an initial report to The Steering Committee in November.

Athletic Council Annual Report 2010-2011:
A motion was passed to give Professor Kasavana voice. Professor Kasavana, Chairperson of the Athletic Council, presented an overview of the Annual Report of the Athletic Council for 2010-11. The report was placed on the University Council agenda for September 20, 2011.

Department Name Change Request:
The Provost is seeking advice regarding a request from the College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM) for a Department name change. The COM recently completed an18 month Self-Study and one of the outcomes was a request to rename the Department of Internal Medicine to the Department of Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine and International Medicine to recognize its expanded scope of activities and achievements. A motion was passed to refer the request to UCUS and UCGS, and to report back to The Steering Committee in October.

Merger of the Departments of Crop and Soil Sciences and Plant Pathology:
Provost Wilcox presented a request from the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources to merge the Departments of Crop and Soil Sciences and Plant Pathology. A motion passed to refer and seek advice from UCUS and UCGS and report back to The Steering Committee in October.

Proposed Revision in IRB Requirements:
Professor Powell requested voice for Professor Haywood, from the Office of Research and Graduate Studies, to address the Committee. Professor Haywood noted that the Office is eager to facilitate research by implementing Federal Regulations and Policies. The Office of Science and Technology Policy is driving a national conversation related to the oversight of the rules governing the protection of human subjects in research. An advanced notice of proposed rule making on Human Subjects Research Protections was published on July 11, 2011 and solicits input on 74 questions related to proposed changes to the human research regulations. The Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA) is seeking input from investigators, IRB members and staff and administrators on this proposed notice urgently as the deadline is September 26, 2011. The website is www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects.

Campus Addressing Project:
Professor Powell requested voice for Bill Latta from the Office of Finance and Operations to present information on the Campus Addressing Project. The Project has been established to assign an addressing grid for the MSU Campus and provide a locatable address for all MSU facilities. The purpose for this change is to improve general public safety response, required for 911 enhanced dispatching services and the ability to use global positioning systems.

FLG Members:
Professor Kaplowitz noted that a recommendation was made two years ago during the Bylaws discussion regarding the composition of the FLG. The faculty had voted on a change in the composition in the Bylaw revision but then it was determined that the BOT decides so it was removed. The Provost clarified that the BOT makes the decision on the composition. Presently the FLG composition consists of the Steering Committee Chairperson, two at large faculty and the Chairpersons of UCFA and UCFT. The Provost discussed the FLG composition the summer with the BOT and reported that there would be more discussion this Fall. Members asked the Provost to take the original faculty recommendation to the BOT for discussion.

Report from the Assessment Task Force Re: Changes to the Code of Teaching Responsibility and Integrity of Scholarships and Grades:
Professor Powell requested voice for Professor Denison, member of the Task Force. Professor Denison summarized the work of the Task Force to date. The discussion over the summer focused on two topics. One issue was a universally supported proposal to create an MSU testing facility on campus that would support the administration of online tests for all departments and schools. The other issue discussed was how to manage assessments for students enrolled in online courses and programs and who are not present in East Lansing. The Task Force is continuing their discussion refining their report which will be sent to UCUS, UCFA and UCGS.

Online SIRS:
Question was raised as to whether everyone has to use one form. Professor Youatt clarified that each unit can develop their own form.

Brief Update: Department of Education Regulations Re: Sexual Harassment and ADP Work Group:
Professor Powell reported that the Steering Committee is waiting for feedback from Kristine Zayko.

Draft Agenda for Faculty Senate for September 13, 2011:
The agenda for the Faculty Council meeting scheduled for September13, 2011 is as follows:

  • Approval of agenda
  • Public Comments
  • University Committee on Curriculum Report -Info
  • Proposal for Establishment of New Academic Departments in CHM
  • New Business

Draft Agenda for University Council for September 20, 2011:
The agenda for the Academic Council meeting scheduled for September 20, 2011 is as follows:

  • Approval of agenda
  • Public Comments
  • Online SIRS Pilot Study
  • UCAG Proposed Motions
  • Athletic Council Report for 2010-11
  • Campus Addressing Project - Info

New Business:
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:10 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

signature

Jacqueline Wright
Secretary for Academic Governance

Committee Meeting Date: 
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 3:15pm
Committee Type: 
Minutes Status :