Committee Meetings Throughout Summer 2020

The Steering Committee (TSC), Faculty Senate (FS) and University Council (UC) met throughout the summer 2020, via Zoom.  TSC convened on June 9 and July 7. FS convened on June 23, July 21 and August 11. Univesity Council convened on July 21.

The Schedule of Meeting Dates for 2020-2021 can be found by clicking on the link below and by clicking on the black tab to the lef of the website, under Shcedule of Meeting Dates.

Schedule of Meeting Dates for 2020-2021

 

February 8, 2005

You are here

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Approved 3-1-05

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF ACADEMIC COUNCIL

MINUTES

February 8, 2005


Present: Abeles, Bresnahan, Holmes-Rovner, McCoy, Nair, Newman, Ogundimu, Prasad, Schechter, Sticklen, Dan Weber, Dick Weber; Others: Bresnahan, Harrison, Hudzik, Melnick,Wright, Harding (State News)

Absent: Harrow, Larabee, Morash, Wei; Others: Banks, Simon

Chairperson Sticklen called the meeting to order at 3:15 p.m. with a quorum being present.

The agenda was amended by adding an item related to the Alcohol Policy. A motion was passed to approve the amended agenda. Professor Abeles commented that he had met with some agitated faculty who were concerned about the process involved for the closing of the parking area at Morrill Hall February 15, 2005. The faculty indicated they had not been informed and were concerned about where they were to park.

The minutes for January 11 were approved as distributed.

President’s Remarks:
President Simon was not able to attend the meeting.

Acting Provost’s Remarks:
Acting Provost Hudzik noted that most of the issues he had commentary on were already on the agenda and would comment accordingly. Professor Hudzik clarified the role of the Acting Provost in the ECAC meetings, for example he does not vote on issues and the expectation of the degree of participation. Professor Sticklen responded that the discussion is open to all members which include the Acting Provost.

Chairperson’s Remarks:
Professor Sticklen, Chairperson, indicated that he had no comments at this time.

CCR Final Report – Responses from UGC, UCFA, UCAP and UCSA:
Professor Sticklen thanked the Standing Committees of UCFA, UCAP, UGC and UCSA for their reviews of the CCR Report. Each committee’s written response was distributed prior to the meeting to all members. The Chairs of the committees then summarized the individual reviews.

Discussion of Framing Issues for CCR Discussion at Academic Council:
Professor Sticklen explained the item had been placed on the agenda as an opportunity to frame a potential action item on the CCR for Academic Council. However, Professor Sticklen suggested that the committee not frame an item at this time. All of the reports from the various Colleges have not been received. The Standing Committee reports on the CCR Report can be taken to Academic Council as an information item.

Acting Provost Hudzik noted that reorganization is not a homogeneous concept. There are many reorganization options that have been discussed. Professor Hudzik has been concerned with the amount of degrees of freedom on the table in this conversation which creates a level of uncertainty in the institution and can be counterproductive. The reports from the standing committees have now been received and reports are coming from the Colleges. At this time we are all probably beginning to form views and that not all options are viable, but we need to wait until all of the College reports are in. Professor Hudzik noted it was his hope that we can say which options should remain on the table for discussion by the end of Spring Semester. The status quo is not really an option for the institution. Change can be accomplished by a variety of means even as suggested by Option 2 and Option 4 in the CCR Report, which are radically different approaches. Professor Hudzik believes their may be some suggestions coming in the College reports. At this point there is no clear message about a particular approach to reorganization.

Identify Standing Committees for Referral of Quantitative Literacy, Writing and Integrative Studies Final Reports:
Professor Sticklen reported that he had discussed the Acting Provost’s cover letter to gain a better understanding. Professor Hudzik reviewed and discussed the cover letter regarding the Final Reports. Beware of what is assumed and that others will make the same assumptions. The selection of the members from the Standing Committees for the Ad Hoc Committee looking at all three final reports will be done by the respective Standing Committee. Professor Hudzik noted that the additional intent was to put before ECAC an idea for how this group would be an Ad Hoc committee of governance. If you look at Standing Committees who might have the greatest degree of interest in the broad range of issues represented by these reports, it seem the two committees would be UCAP and UCC. The issues of diversity and expertise need to be addressed and there may need to be additional members identified. Timing is an issue since the Semester is moving quickly. We have the individual reports but the issues are not unrelated to each other. One concern is not to lose the momentum and therefore need to have a group look at the explicit interconnections and have some kind of preliminary report by the end of the semester. There was some discussion related to concerns of a deadline of April 29 and consideration of extending into the summer. It is important to have the right faculty as opposed to whoever is available. If the group is formed now with a charge, they would start consideration of these issues and a preliminary framing of the issues would be expected at a certain date and have a more expositive or final report the middle of August, Professor Hudzik would support. There was further discussion regarding the timeline, etc. A motion was passed for a proposal to be prepared by the ECAC Chairperson and Acting Provost regarding the procedures to form the working committee in consultation with UCAP and UGC Chairpersons. If all agree on the proposal it will be sent to ECAC for a vote electronically. This approved proposal will then be shared as an information item at Faculty and Academic Councils. A motion was passed to refer the final reports to UCAP and UCC reporting back by March 1, 2005. Following discussion related to the Integrative Studies Report, a motion was passed to refer the report to UCAG.

Proposed Amendments to the Bylaws for Academic Governance:
The UCAG has proposed the following two amendments to the Bylaws for Academic Governance:

3.2.1.1.5. The Academic Council shall have the following ex officio members: Vice President for Student Affairs and Services, Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies, Vice Provost for Libraries, Computing and Technology, Assistant Provost for University Outreach and Engagement, Associate Provost, Assistant Provost and Assistant Vice President for Academic Human Resources, Assistant Provost for Undergraduate Education and Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Assistant Provost for Graduate Education, Assistant Provost for Academic Student Services and Multicultural Issues, Assistant Provost for Academic Services and Registrar, Faculty Grievance Official, Secretary for Academic Governance and Ombudsman.
3.2.2.1. The voting members of Academic Council shall be the faculty representatives, student representatives, designated members of Academic Council Standing Committees, voting members of the Executive Committee, deans of academic programs, Dean of the Graduate School, Dean of International Studies and Programs, Dean of the Honors College and the directors of the Honors College and Libraries.

A motion was passed to approve the two amendments.

Revision of MSU’s Current Copyright Policy:
Professor Bresnahan, Co-Chairperson of UCFA, presented a revision of the current MSU Copyright Policy. In 2001, the MSU copyright policy was revised to include a new statement that all faculty research is “initially owned” by the University, which then “assigns” copyright to the faculty creator. The UCFA approved the following change: “MSU follows standard academic practice in disclaiming ownership of and royalties proceeding from, traditional academic works (books, essays, works of art, musical compositions and recordings, and the like), unless one or more ‘Special Circumstances’ exist.” Following a brief discussion a motion was passed to approve the change and take to Faculty Council for an action item.

Report from UCFA on Recommendations Regarding Fixed Term Faculty Participation in Governance:
Professor Bresnahan, Co-Chairperson of UCFA, presented an update on the discussions related to the fixed term faculty participation in Governance. The UCFT sent UCFA a working document on Ten Principles related to fixed term faculty. The UCFA discussion raised some concerns such as the issue of including Specialists, some language in the document was questioned and a question of whether there would be a further incursion on declining faculty. The UCFA voted to send the document back to UCFT for further deliberation.

Alcohol Policy:
Professor Sticklen raised the issue regarding the current alcohol policy on MSU campus. The particular concern was what appeared to be inconsistency and the lifting of the policy on game days. After considerable discussion the decision was to voice the concern with the Board of Trustees during the Faculty Liaison meeting.

Draft Agenda for Faculty Council of February 15, 2005:
The agenda for the Faculty Council meeting on February 15, 2005 is as follows:

  • Revision of MSU’s Current Copyright Policy- Action item
  • Working Group to Improve Undergraduate Education – Information Item
  • Report from the Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Voice – Information Item

Draft Agenda for Academic Council of February 22, 2005:
The agenda for the Academic Council meeting on February 22, 2005 is as follows:

  • University Committee on Curriculum Report – Action Item
  • Proposed Amendments to the Bylaws for Academic Governance – Action Item
  • Consideration of Committee on College Reorganization Final Report: Reports from UCAP, UCFA,UCSA,UGC – Information Item
  • Slate of Nominees for At-Large Faculty to the Executive Committee of Academic Council – Information Item

Draft Agenda for Possible Academic Senate Meeting of February 25, 2005:
The agenda for the Academic Senate Meeting February 25, 2005 is as follows:

  • Update from the Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Voice
  • Update on Status of Task Force Groups
  • Update on Working Group to Improve Undergraduate Education
  • Update on Medical School Oversight Committee

There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 5:10 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

signature

Jacqueline Wright
Secretary for Academic Governance

Committee Meeting Date: 
Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 3:15pm
Committee Type: 
Minutes Status :