January 10, 2012

You are here

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Approved 2-7-12
2011-2012:5

THE STEERING COMMITTEE
MINUTES
January 10, 2012
Board Room, Administration Building


Present: Provost Wilcox, President Simon, W. Anderson, E. Bank, S. Carter, W. Davidson, L. Dillon, J. Godeeris, M. Kaplowitz, T. Levine, D. Moriarty, J. Powell, Z. Taylor, J. Wright, J. Youatt
Others: T. Curry, S. Lott, B. Hayhoe and S. Brooks (State News)

Absent: S. Fletcher,H. M. Halloran, H. Hughes, L. Jordan, A. Lovgren, S. Marino

Professor Powell called the meeting to order at 3:15 p.m. with a quorum being present.

The Agenda was amended to make the item on the Faculty Liaison Composition an action item. The amended agenda was approved.

The Minutes for December 6, 2011 were amended with editorial changes. The amended Minutes were approved.

President’s Remarks:
President Simon thanked the committee for their work on identifying the process for the Provost’s Review. The Governor will present the State of the State address earlier this year with the expectation that there will be a budget announcement the first of February. There will be much discussion, including a Press Conference on January 15, sponsored by business leaders of Michigan and supported by the Presidents’ Council of Michigan, on the studies done regarding the support of higher education. The studies underscore that Michigan has fallen behind in the support of higher education. The group will advocate for a formula approach where everyone can win if they meet performance measures. The President’s Council wanted some recognition that some institutions have had unusual enrollment growth during the period of decline.

President Simon reported that the University has used the “Shaping the Future” framework to deal with the difficult budget. The process has begun to refresh the Boldness by Design framework to include a number of innovations etc. The President indicated wanting to have the faculty engaged in conversations regarding game changers for the next twenty years. There will be important discussions regarding research emphasis and where to put resources.

Provost’s Remarks:
Provost Wilcox requested some feedback from the committee in terms of topics to share in Faculty Senate or University Council. Provost Wilcox suggested the following set of new topics to discuss:

  • The system created for monitoring and use of research space on campus
  • The reorganization efforts in Contracts and Grants Administration
  • Broader set of Intellectual Property Offices on campus

The Provost also identified some repeat topics to be discussed such as the budget, creative curricular changes and a picture of the student body and demographics. The members responded positively to the topics identified.
The plan is to schedule and add to the agendas.

The Steering Committee Chairperson’s Remarks:
Professor Powell noted that the responses to the Assessment Task Force from UCUS and UCGC will be reported in February. The ADP Work Group will also report in February. The At-Large members are continuing to meet with the College Advisory Committees and will complete their visits this semester. Professor Powell announced he would be attending the COIA meeting in January.

A concern was raised by Student Lovgren regarding the health care insurance. Professor Youatt clarified that the student health insurance is mandatory for all in-coming students and that they could defer as to type of insurance until January 30, 2012. If students failed to report they had insurance their account was automatically charged. In the Fall Semester of 2012 all entering students will need health insurance. The Provost agreed that communication should be sent again to the students.

Energy Transition Report:
President Simon announced that the Energy Transition Report will be on the President’s web site January 16, 2012. The Transition Plan was created by the Energy Transition Steering Committee, a 24 member group of faculty, staff, and students, whose charge was to develop a plan to help MSU reliably meet its future energy needs while keeping a close eye on cost and environmental impact. There has been extensive input from experts both inside and outside of the University. The Committee has crafted a strategic plan to guide the University’s renewable energy. President Simon is asking the faculty to discuss and comment on the plan. The plan will be discussed in the March University Council meeting and the President is to make recommendations to the BOT in April.

VP for Research:
Terry Curry announced that under the Taylor II Principles, the Steering Committee has input and worked with the President on the Search for the VP for Research. A letter went out to the Deans, Directors and Faculty regarding the search. Names have been solicited for possible people to be on the Search Committee and interviews with search firms have been conducted. A search firm will be contacted to negotiate a contract, and by the end of the week the President will be appointing a committee. The search committee will have 7 faculty, 2 Deans, 2 graduate students and a chairperson to be appointed by the President.

ASMSU Proposed Bylaw Amendments:
Zachary Taylor, AA Chairperson, reported meeting with Provost Wilcox and Professor Powell to review the proposed amendments to the Bylaws. Based on the meeting there were several areas that needed to be revised, most of these were clarifications. The proposed amendments will be sent back to UCAG for revision.

Faculty Liaison Group:
Professor Powell reported that the At-Large members submitted a statement regarding the composition of the Faculty Liaison Group recommended when the Bylaws were being revised. The Faculty Liaison Group could not be included in the Bylaws as this is solely determined by the BOT. The discussions with the BOT resulted in a recommendation of no more than five faculty and asked the Committee to make a recommendation back to the BOT. Additional members could come to a meeting depending on issues if needed. The following motion was proposed: the composition of the Faculty Liaison Group shall consist of three At-Large Faculty, the Chairperson of UCFA and one non-tenured, tenure stream faculty member elected from Faculty Senate. The motion was passed.

Issues sent to Steering Committee:
Secretary Wright presented a set of issues received dealing with faculty and University policies. After some discussion, the set of issues will be referred to UCFT and UCFA. Secretary Wright will contact the faculty member and ask that he call the Chairpersons of both Committees to provide further clarification.

University Research Organization (URO) Update:
Professor Powell reported that the URO Report was distributed to the various Committees in December. A web site https://uro.egr.msu.edu has been developed for faculty to review the Report. Information will be sent to University Council members, Deans, Directors and Chairpersons to review and provide commentary. It is anticipated that faculty will be engaged in discussions through forums, online discussions etc. to formulate recommendations. The URO Update will be put on the agenda for University Council January 24, 2012. Provost Wilcox indicated the conversations need to occur and be completed by the end of this academic year.

A motion was passed to hold Faculty Senate and University Council on January 24, 2012. Faculty Senate will be 3:15 to 3:45 and University Council will be 3:45 to 5:00.

Draft Agenda for Faculty Senate for February 24, 2012:
The agenda for the Faculty Senate meeting scheduled for January 24, 2012 is as follows:

  • Approval of agenda
  • Public Comments
  • University Committee on Curriculum Report {Info Item}
  • Composition of the Faculty Liaison Group to BOT - Discussion - Professor John Powell {Info Item}
  • New Business

Draft Agenda for University Council for January 24, 2012:
The agenda for the Academic Council meeting scheduled for January 24, 2012 is as follows:

  • Approval of agenda
  • Public Comments
  • ASMSU Proposed Amendments to the Bylaws for Academic Governance - Professor John Powell and Zachary Taylor, Academic Assembly Chairperson {Action Item)
  • University Research Organization (URO) Discussion - Professor John Powell - {Info Item}
  • Student Body Demographics Update - June Youatt, Senior Associate Provost {Info Item}
  • New Business

New Business:
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:05 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

signature

Jacqueline Wright
Secretary for Academic Governance

Committee Meeting Date: 
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 3:15pm
Committee Type: 
Minutes Status :