Committee Meetings Throughout Summer 2020

The Steering Committee (TSC), Faculty Senate (FS) and University Council (UC) met throughout the summer 2020, via Zoom.  TSC convened on June 9 and July 7. FS convened on June 23, July 21 and August 11. Univesity Council convened on July 21.

The Schedule of Meeting Dates for 2020-2021 can be found by clicking on the link below and by clicking on the black tab to the lef of the website, under Shcedule of Meeting Dates.

Schedule of Meeting Dates for 2020-2021

 

January 11, 2005

You are here

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Approved 2-8-05

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF ACADEMIC COUNCIL

MINUTES

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

3:15 p.m., Board Room Administration Building


Present: Abeles, Holmes-Rovner, Larabee, McCoy, Bresnahan, Morash, Nair, Newman, Ogundimu, Prasad, Schechter, Sticklen, Weber, D., Weber, R., Others: Banks, Harrison, Simon, Wright, Harding (State News)

Absent: Harrow, Wei

Chairperson Sticklen called the meeting to order at 3:15 p.m. with a quorum being present.

The agenda was amended by adding an item, President’s Remarks.

The minutes for November 9, 2004 were approved as distributed.

The minutes for November 22, 2004 were approved as distributed.

President’s Remarks:
The President indicated that she wanted to reestablish a format in which the President does not redo what the Provost should be doing. The President sees the Steering Committee under the old Bylaws and the ECAC under the current Bylaws as being an important group to which issues can be brought and discussed. This has not been the case with broader policy issues unless there has been a problem or there has been a specific proposal. The President asked ECAC to think and talk about how we might best be able to have conversations about some bigger issues in ways that conform to the bylaws and at the same time help with some of the communication transparency issues.

The President reported the continuing work with the Medical School Oversight Committee on the issues that relate to the opportunity to expand. It was announced in the press that Grand Action formed a group to pull the participants together in Grand Rapids, the hospitals, the philanthropic community, etc and they have given MSU the opportunity to participate in these discussions. It was decided that it was better to be a part of the conversations. Grand Rapids feels it is important to have continued momentum on the project.

The President requested the opportunity to speak to Faculty Council and Academic Council regarding the Cherry Commission. It is the President’s belief that the Commission will have some influence on the nature of appropriation discussions as well as the expectations placed on all of the universities for accountability and ease of transferability. There is good news in the Cherry Report because the role of the research university, as an engine of economic change, is clearly present. The hope is to get higher education a higher priority in the State.

The President reported that two sessions have been held for the Vice-Presidents, Deans and key Assistant/Associate vice-presidents to work on issues of the administrative team and how to adjust to better communicate and increase the transparency. The President also noted that she is using the first month of her Presidency to do what a new President would normally do in six months and to be less definitive about where she is going and using this time to listen and collect ideas. The Founder’s Day speech will provide an opportunity for the President to make some statements. The President also asked for input on topic/issues for the Founder’s Day speech.

The President indicated one of her concerns is that for a University to work we have to find ways in which we are prepared collectively to recognize what it takes, not simply in dollars, but in policy and program terms to be at the next level of academic success.

Chairperson’s Remarks:
Professor Sticklen, Chairperson, welcomed everyone back and noted this was going to be a semester that would be extremely busy. The task force reports will be coming to governance in the next month.

College-Level Reappointment, Promotion and Tenure Committees:
This item is back before ECAC after being passed by Faculty Council and the question to be addressed is whether the members wish to refer to Academic Council. Following discussion a motion was passed to recommend the proposed policy for College-Level Reappointment, Promotion and Tenure Committees as endorsed by UCFT, UCFA, Faculty Council and ECAC to the Provost as an administrative policy.

Report on CIC Faculty Leadership Conference:
Professor Sticklen reported briefly on the CIC Faculty Leadership Conference he attended in November. A written report will be distributed at the next ECAC meeting. Professor Sticklen highlighted some of the following key issues:

  • Academic Misconduct – CIC schools handle differently, especially the purview of the judicial system.
  • Institutional Review Boards – The interpretation of Federal regulation guidelines varies. MSU is the most stringent in the application of the rules.
  • Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics – The issue of commercialism and the need to be contained in athletics was discussed.
  • Legislature – The relationship of the CIC schools and their legislature was a topic of discussion.
  • The issue of how to get faculty involved in governance was discussed and the need to introduce the governance system to the faculty in a systematic way.
  • Governance budgets vary at the various CIC schools.

Proposed Amendment to the Bylaws for Academic Governance Section 3.2.1.1.5.:
An Amendment to the Bylaws for Academic Governance Section 3.2.1.1.5. was proposed updating the title of Dr. June Youatt, which should read Assistant Provost for Undergraduate Education and Dean of Undergraduate Studies. A motion was passed to refer the proposed amendment to UCAG.

Proposal with regard to the Process of Scheduling Special Meetings:
Professor Larabee, Chairperson of UCAG, reported back from UCAG asking for further clarification as to the reason for a change in the Bylaws for a process for scheduling special meetings. After discussion, it was determined that a procedure for special meetings should be established at the beginning of the academic year and not pursue a change in the Bylaws. A motion was passed that ECAC will establish a procedure to schedule special meetings at the beginning of each academic year.

Proposal for Formalizing the Process of Having a UCAP Liaison Representative to Athletic Council:
Professor Larabee, Chairperson of UCAG, reported that the committee is in the process of completing information gathering and will bring the issue back to ECAC for further discussion.

Update on Task Force Committees:
Professor Sticklen reported that all of the Task Force Reports are completed but the Quantitative Literacy Task Force Report has not been submitted to the Provost. The Integrative Studies Task Force Report and the Writing Task Force Report has been submitted to the Provost. We will need to have the Provost’s remarks on each of the Reports for an Academic Council meeting.

Setting of Faculty Council Agenda for January 18, 2005:
The agenda for Faculty Council for January 18, 2005 is as follows:

  • President’s Remarks and Comments re: The Cherry Commission
  • Possible Endorsement of Committee on College Reorganization Process- Action Item
  • Update from Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Voice – Information Item

Setting of Academic Council Agenda for January 25, 2005:
The agenda for the Academic Council meeting on January 25, 2005 is as follows:

  • University Committee on Curriculum Report – Action Item
  • Task Force on Writing, Final Report – Information Item
  • Task Force on Integrative Studies Planning Committee, Final Report – Information Item
  • Task Force on Quantitative Literacy, Final Report – Information Item

There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 5:00 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

signature

Jacqueline Wright
Secretary for Academic Governance

Committee Meeting Date: 
Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 3:15pm
Committee Type: 
Minutes Status :