Committee Meetings Throughout Summer 2020

The Steering Committee (TSC), Faculty Senate (FS) and University Council (UC) met throughout the summer 2020, via Zoom.  TSC convened on June 9 and July 7. FS convened on June 23, July 21 and August 11. Univesity Council convened on July 21.

The Schedule of Meeting Dates for 2020-2021 can be found by clicking on the link below and by clicking on the black tab to the lef of the website, under Shcedule of Meeting Dates.

Schedule of Meeting Dates for 2020-2021

 

March 1, 2005

You are here

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Approved 4-5-05

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF ACADEMIC COUNCIL

MINUTES

March 1, 2005


Present: Abeles, Behe (for Ogundimu), Bresnahan, Harrow, Holmes-Rovner, Larabee, McCoy, Nair, Prasad, Schechter, Sticklen, Dan Weber, Dick Weber, Wei; Others: Harrison, Hudzik, Wright, Harding (State News)

Absent: Banks, Simon

Chairperson Sticklen called the meeting to order at 3:15 p.m. with a quorum being present.

The agenda was approved as distributed.

The minutes for February 8 and February 22, 2005 were approved as distributed.

President’s Remarks:
President Simon was not able to attend the meeting.

Acting Provost’s Remarks:
Acting Provost Hudzik noted it was his plan to have a preliminary discussion at the Academic Council meeting on March 22 on the reorganization and then to have a more detailed discussion on April 19. The Acting Provost also alerted members that he learned from the rumor mills, as Deans go out across the country, that the College of Arts and Letters has been eliminated; of course this is not true. He will continue to try to dispel such inaccurate rumors. Dr. Hudzik indicated that he felt it was important to have a preliminary discussion at Academic Council prior to being more explicit on his thinking.

Chairperson’s Remarks:
Professor Sticklen, Chairperson, noted that the Academic Senate meeting on February 25, 2005 did not reach quorum. This is not surprising since there were no items for vote and it was a Friday afternoon. It was disappointing that there was not greater attendance. Professor Sticklen indicated that we should avoid scheduling future Academic Senate meetings on Friday afternoon.

One of the issues raised during the meeting focused on the Bylaws and the need to announce meetings that will be setting the agendas for Academic and Faculty Council and Academic Senate. Professor Sticklen noted there needs to be an item on the agenda at these ECAC meetings to entertain items for the agendas. Julie Harrison informed members that announcements are placed in the News Bulletin prior to each ECAC meeting noting that agenda items will be accepted from any faculty member or student and referred to the appropriate body. Professor Weber raised the issue of time in our meetings to accommodate this issue. Professor Sticklen asked that the ECAC discuss this at the next meeting. Another issue raised at the Senate meeting concerned electronic support and infrastructure to support governance. Professor Sticklen indicated we should consider some of the suggestions.

Update on Working Group to Improve Undergraduate Education:
Professor Sticklen reported a memorandum had been sent to Acting Provost Hudzik identifying the members of the group according to the guidelines for membership. The membership of the Working Group includes the following:

UCC: W. Allen, Wellington Ow, R. Enbody
UCAP: C. Taggart, Kurt Stirewalt, Rod Phillips
COGS: Jennifer Hodges
ASMSU: Noah Bradow, Jessica Hancock

Professor Sticklen indicated the next step would be for the Provost to examine the membership for balance and potentially add members if necessary. The Working Group will present an interim report to Academic Council and the Academic Senate in April, 2005. A final report is to be completed with recommendations by August 15, 2005.

Request for Advice: Transfer of FCE to the College of Social Science:
Acting Provost Hudzik distributed materials related to the request of transfer. There have been discussions involving FCE and the College of Social Science occurring for some time. Professor Hudzik met with the Department of FCE in January, 2005 and responded to questions. Following the meeting, a letter was sent by the Acting Chairperson of FCE requesting a transfer of the Department of FCE to the College of Social Science. The Acting Provost forwarded the request to the College of Social Science and confirmed a process of review, consultation and decision making in the Department of FCE. The College of Social Science informed Professor Hudzik of the College of Social Science to accept the transfer of the Department of FCE from the College of Human Ecology to the College of Social Science. Professor Hudzik requested advice from ECAC as to what governance committees should be consulted regarding the transfer of the Department. The one remaining program in the College of Human Ecology is the Department of Apparels and Textiles and various options are being discussed. Professor Schechter suggested that the Acting Provost have a conversation and discussion with UCAP on March 17, 2005 prior to actions being taken. Provost Hudzik indicated he was planning to do so and welcomed the suggestion. A motion was passed to refer the plan regarding the transfer to UCAP, UCFT, UCFA and UGC requesting a response to ECAC by April 5, 2005.

Discussion on Rearranging the Academic Governance Calendar for April, 2005:
There has been some discussion regarding changing the dates for Academic Council and Faculty Council in April. The Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Voice requested to report to Faculty Council later than scheduled. A motion was passed to move the Faculty Council meeting from April 12 to April 26, 2005. Following discussion regarding the times for the Academic Senate meeting the members decided the date for the Academic Senate needed to be April 26, 2005. A motion was passed to move the Faculty Council meeting back to April 12, 2005. A motion was then passed to hold the Academic Senate meeting April 26, 2005 from 3:00- 5:00 p.m.

Following discussion it was decided that a set time needed to be established for the Academic Senate meetings for the academic year beginning next year. A motion was passed to schedule Academic Senate meetings for the last Thursday of the semester 4pm to 6pm.

Other Items:
Dan Weber, ASMSU Representative moved that the idea of restarting the Ad Hoc Committee on Gender Identity be considered as an agenda item for the next meeting. The motion was passed.

Another issue raised was the reason for the ban on drinks during the Council meetings. The room in the International Center is under Libraries and there is concern about moisture getting beneath the carpet and reaching the wiring. It was suggested that a letter be written to Clifford Haka regarding the issue.

The last issue raised was the idea of having a site for governance on the University home page. There was agreement to place this item on next ECAC agenda.

Draft Agenda for Faculty Council of March 15, 2005:
The agenda for the Faculty Council meeting on March 15, 2005 is as follows:

  • Revision of MSU’s Current Copyright Policy- Action item
  • Working Group to Improve Undergraduate Education – Information Item
  • Report from the Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Voice – Information Item

Draft Agenda for Academic Council of March 22, 2005:
The agenda for the Academic Council meeting on March 22, 2005 is as follows:

  • University Committee on Curriculum Report – Action Item
  • Proposed Amendments to the Bylaws for Academic Governance – Action Item
  • Revision of MSU’s Current Copyright Policy – Action Item
  • Commentary and Discussion on Committee on College Reorganization – Information Item
  • Ratification of Action by ECAC on February 22, 2005 re: Approval of UCC Report – Information Item
  • Reports from UCAP and UCC re: Review of Final Reports from Task Force Committees on Quantitative Literacy, Writing and Integrative Studies- Information Item

There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

 signature

Jacqueline Wright
Secretary for Academic Governance

Committee Meeting Date: 
Tuesday, March 1, 2005 - 3:15pm
Committee Type: 
Minutes Status :