Faculty and University Council Meetings

UPDATE AS OF MARCH 24, 2020: The Steering Committee, Faculty Senate, and University Council will meet remotely at the usual times beginning March 24, 2020.

September 9, 2014

You are here

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Approved 10-7-14

Board Room, Administration Building


Present:  President Simon, E. Bank, T. Bitner, M. Chavez, D. Clark, M. Crimp, W. Davidson, D. Moriarty, E. Strauss, C. Taggart, M. Wesolowski, J. Powell; Others:  T. Curry, S. Lott

Absent:  Provost Youatt, M. Noel, A. Paganini, M. Sticklen


  • Agenda was approved as amended, adding 6a: Volunteers for Student Preferred Name Policy – follow-up meeting


  • Modification from Professor Taggart – 28 Credit Proposal should be noted in the New Business section


  • Welcome
    • Provost Youatt at AAU Provost meeting, important collaboration of what our peers are doing and then off to do development in the neighborhood of California/meeting learning new things to share with various committees and activities
    • Academic opening ran smoothly, number of incidences were generally flat, proportion of folks engaged in activities who are not our students seems to be creeping up and that remains a concern on opening activities
    • The Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct Policies will come before governance this fall.  Paulette Granberry-Russell will establish a Task Force with faculty and student leadership to revisit a similar task for 10 years ago.  This will help provide a safety net of services that make sense in current environment for students involved with incidents.
    • Healthy Campus Initiative will open up discussion for smoke free campus
    • Provost to add career planning discussion as part of the neighborhood concept  -  connected to better services for students
    • Continuing to look at international programs and students and experiences

4. PROVOST’S REMARKS (Out of Town)


  • Plans for this year
    • Faculty Senate – Communication and engagement in the process, break out groups at beginning of meetings, clickers at meetings for voting, breakout discussion groups - first meeting will start with small groups
    • Issues at Hand: Health Care Center and Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct Policy.  John Beck will facilitate the first three Faculty Senate meetings.
  • Faculty survey identified a number of issues and topics for consideration by the Faculty Senate.  These results will continue to be included in Faculty Senate meetings to identify priority issues.
  • Issues for University Council
    • CIO for presentation to UC – Vice President Johanna Young
    • Provost vision of the University
    • Presentation by DPPS campus security issues 
    • Faculty Advisory Committees emphasis on student assessment
    • EBS Presentations – Information on Security
    • First UC meeting – HR presentation – health care plans/transitions

6. Governance Issues Identified by Senate Survey Results and E-mails – was in Deborah’s remarks Steering Committee Seating – Professor Deborah Moriarty, Chair TSC (Discussion)

6. a. Marti Crimp – Need two faculty volunteers for Student Preferred Policy follow-up meeting.  We will follow up to make sure names are in place.  Two faculty members to serve on this sub-committee:   Faculty participating should come from UCUE and UCSA.

7. Grief Absence Policy from C. Taggart – There is a need to establish a sub-committee made of representative from UCGS, UCFA and UCSA.  Specifics of the subcommittee include logistics, integrity issues and timing of the implementation.  Target for return of report Dec/Jan.

8. Update: Option to Declare Major at 28 Credits – Cynthia Taggart – recommended to University Council Meeting

9. Faculty Health Care Council Membership – Professor William Davidson, FHCC Member

    • Need to consider a policy for replacing members of the Council
    • Need to consider membership for UNFT
    • Need to develop policies and procedures for non-union fixed term, librarians and specialists

10. Faculty Health Care Presentation– Professor William Davidson, FHCC Member gave presentation that will be presented to the Faculty Senate on September 16.

11. Human Resources Presentation to University Council - Renee Rivard, Human Resources

12. New Business - None

13. Draft Agenda for Faculty Senate for September 16, 2014

    • FHCC presentation (Info Item)
    • motion martin and manual
    • CCC report (info Item)

14. Draft Agenda for University Council for September 23, 2014

    • Update: Option to Declare Major at 28 credits P by Provost
    • HR presentation on 2015 Benefits Programs (Info Item)
    • University Curriculum Report (Info Item)

Adjourn 4:55


Committee Meeting Date: 
Tuesday, September 9, 2014 - 3:15pm
Committee Type: 
Minutes Status :