February 25, 2014

You are here

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Approved 3-25-14




Tuesday, February 25, 2014

3:15 p.m., 115 International Center

  President Simon,  Acting Provost J. Youatt, A. Addrow-Pierson, S. Kautz (for M. Baba), D. Banks, K. Bartig, M. Becker, C. Borchgrevink, S. Carter, R. Caldwell, T. Curry, E. Charles, M. Chavez, J. Conwell, E. Crockett-Torabi, W. Davidson, N. DeJoy, P. Dickson, W. Donohue, J. Dudziak, J. Dunn, M. Ferkany, D. Foran, K. Forrest, B. Fraser, J.Baruby,  X. Gao, E. Gardner, M. Goheen, A. Weismantel (for C. Haka), D. Heller, J. Hines, P. Hunt (for S. Hsu), M. Huebner, C. Jackson-Elmoore, M. Jacobs, R.J. Kirkpatrick, B. Kleinerman, K. Klomparens, M. Koot, S. Lacy, J. Leacher, J.Wagner (for S. Lenway), R. Maleczka, C. Manitowabi, J. Maurer, D. Maybank, D. Moriarty, T. Wehrwein (for M. Mundt), M. Noel, D. Pathak, K. Mellenbuh (for F. Poston), D. Quiroga,  J. Reifenberg, L. Robinson, G. Roloff, N. Rudolph, F. Salem, R. LaDuca (for E. Simmons), D. Sinistaj, W. Strumpel, A. Susarla, C. Taggart, C. Vermeesch, T. Vogelsang, F. Villarruel, S. Watts, C. Weidbrecht, M. Worden, J. Wright, D. Prestel (for K. Wurst)

ABSENT:   E. Bank, J. Barnett, C. Bolin, C. Brown, S. Carey, B. Chakrani. D. Clark, C. Coursaris, A. Dickerson, R.K., S. Esquith, A. Faulkner, S. Fletcher, J. Forger, J. Gajos, S. Garnett, K. Gelbke, Y. Gonzalez, K. Greenwalt, D. Grooms, M.E. Hackert, S. Hanson, J. Howarth, H. Hughes, G. Jackson, D. Katz, L. Kempel, L. McCabe, P. Menchik, D. Mendez, D. Miner, H. Mooney, S. Moukalled, M. Nair, M. Rappley, A.J. Rice, L. Robison, M. Shapiro, M. Sticklen, R. Tate, S. Tekalur, C. Traister, M. Treadwell, J. Turner, J. Walton, C. Waters, M. Watt, N. Willgus

The meeting began at 3:20 p.m. with a full quorum.  

Approval of Agenda:
The agenda was approved as distributed.

Public Comments:
There were no public comments.

Approval of Minutes:
The minutes for January 21, 2014 were approved as distributed.

President’s Remarks:
The President commented on the campus alert twenty four hours ago.  The time line involved the time the call was received in DPS to the time of entry to the building which was 3 minutes and the problem was resolved in 9 minutes.  An individual was seen entering the building carrying a rifle, which turned out to be a ROTC training rifle. President Simon noted people are encouraged to say something when they see something not right. The President reported that the University has had ten programs for faculty on safety and active shooters since September 2013.  It is important that academic units and faculty are prepared and know what to do in a particular building as well as emergency contacts.  President Simon thanked Chief Dunlap for the Department’s work and active engagements in the recent investigations regarding the deaths of two students.

President Simon reported that the Steering Committee has been working over the past four years on a variety of policy changes and approaches regarding sexual violence.  There have been many policy changes that have gone through Academic Governance with the support of the Steering Committee on the issues.  The Higher Education press reported on a major conference at the University of Virginia about six weeks ago regarding sexual violence issues for universities and that there would be more reviews both for best practices and individual cases.  The statement issued by the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights, as part of the investigation into MSU’s response allegation sexual assault involving students on campus and overall compliance with Title IX, is conducting focus groups on campus and holding open office hours to obtain feedback on campus climate on the important issues of sexual harassment, sexual assault and sexual violence.  President Simon noted that MSU takes all allegations of sexual assaults seriously and has a process in place to respond to these allegations.  The University has consistently worked with its Governance system at the Department of Education to insure that its process is consistent with the past and current OCR guidance to institutions of higher education regarding the handling of sexual assaults and other Title IX complaints on MSU campus. The University is cooperating fully with the investigation.

Acting Provost’s Remarks:
Professor Youatt remarked on the recent event in Bessey Hall and the emails she received.  Professor Youatt noted that she was going to contact the Deans to find a time for the opportunity to have Penny Fischer from the Department of Police and Public Safety come to each unit to provide a presentation on safety and behavioral threat.

The Steering Committee Chairperson’s Remarks:
Professor Carter reported that there have been some inquiries about the contract for Health Care Spending vendor.  There is some dissatisfaction regarding the current account manager, Meritan.

Renee Rivard indicates that an RFP for a vender for the health Care Spending account management will be going out.  The selection committee will include Renee Rivard, a faculty representative, a representative from the Unions and a representative from Purchasing.  This Committee will review the draft RFP and it is expected the RFP will be going out in a week.  A new vender will be selected by June, 2014.

The Faculty Health Care Council approved by the BOT and calls for the Steering Committee to select nine people willing to serve.

The At-Large members have met with twelve of the FAC/CAC’s at this point and will be collating the issues that have been identified.

The Coalition on Intercollegiate Athletics (COIA) will be having the annual meeting in Tampa Florida February 28 to March 2, 2014.  The three major items to be addressed include the current NCAA reorganization, discussion and work sessions on concussions, and the possible restructuring of COIA.  Professor John Powell will be representing MSU.

Evolution of Retirement Program:
Mark Haas, Vice President for Finance and Treasurer, gave a presentation on MSU’s retirement plan improvements.  See the Governance web site under Current Issues for an overview.

New Business:
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 4:10 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,


Jacqueline Wright
Secretary for Academic Governance



Tapes of complete meetings of the Academic Council are available for review in the office of the Secretary for Academic Governance, W32 Owen Graduate Hall, 355-2337.

Committee Meeting Date: 
Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 3:20pm
Committee Type: 
Minutes Status :